Fastest lap: 40.57 seconds/222.000 mph – 28th on speed charts
Stefan Wilson quote RE:
“I went really fast… It was amazing to be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway driving an IndyCar for the first time and just a big learning curve. It was great to get through phases 1 and 2 of rookie orientation and so we could focus on phase 3 in the afternoon. After all the anticipation that was building up for this first time, these first laps, it’s great to get out there and just feel it out and know what I’m dealing with the rest of the week. It was really tough because you have to stay within that speed window, you’ve got the speed on your dash so you’re just trying to figure out what you need to do to stay in those speed windows – trying to lift off the gas and accelerate to try and stay in that window. It was the first time I had to do math and try and drive a car at the same time, so I’m looking forward to letting loose and driving the car without worrying about staying under a certain speed.”
RE: The afternoon session:
“I felt pretty good, we had a goal of getting through ROP today, all three phases and we were able to achieve that. The goal was to get as many laps as possible and get comfortable and just get a good solid data reference for the rest of the week. I feel like we achieved all of those goals and we can sleep on it tonight, come back tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on the weather, and start from the point onward. It was a lot of fun.”
• Stefan Wilson is piloting the No. 25 Driven2SaveLives – KVRT Chevrolet/Dallara/Firestone entry at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
• The 2016 Indianapolis 500 will be Wilson’s second career Verizon IndyCar Series start, first with KVRT Racing, first in an IndyCar on an oval and first in an IndyCar at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
• He debut in an IndyCar with Dale Coyne Racing in 2013 finishing 16th in Baltimore.
• Wilson competed in Indy Lights from 2009-2012 making 32 starts (2009 – Walker Racing, six starts; 2010 – Bryan Herta Racing, 11 starts; 2011 – Andretti Autosport, 14 starts and 2012 – Fan Force United, one start).
• His best season was 2011 when he finished third in the Indy Lights championship for Andretti Autosport on the strength of two wins, Toronto and Kentucky.
• He made two Indy Lights starts at IMS with a best showing of fourth in 2011 (seventh in 2010.)
• Wilson is the brother of the late Justin Wilson who passed away in an accident at Pocono on August 24, 2015.
• Wilson, 26, is a native of Sheffield, England, but resides with his wife Katie in Indianapolis, IN.
About Rookie Orientation (ROP):
The Rookie Orientation Program (ROP) requires that a Rookie Driver at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway must pass three phases, totaling 40 laps. Rookie Drivers must successfully complete a minimum of two of the three phases to be eligible to participate in full practice when the event begins. No Rookie Driver will be eligible for a qualifications attempt prior to completing the final phase.
The three phases are:
Phase One 10 laps at 205-210 mph, Phase Two 15 laps at 210-215 mph and Phase Three 15 laps at 215+mph. The laps do not have to be consecutive. The phases and corresponding speeds may be adjusted based on track/weather conditions.
Leave a comment